Faulkner's Ubi Sunt:


I'm in the early stages of this project. I was thinking today that Faulkner's characters in The Sound and The Fury embody that search for things past, The ubi sunt or "where are things" motif that is prevalent in elegiac Medieval poetry. I was thinking how can I fit the ubi sunt frame work around this novel (The Sound and the Fury). It appears I can look at all the characters and there constant lamentation of a lost past. Also the idea of the ubi sunt should work in the Modernist frame work of trying to make sense of a chaotic present, one way to do that or not to do that would be to lament on times gone by.
William Faulkner’s The Sound and The Fury: Ubi Sunt a Modernist Approach
Topic: I’m studying The Sound and The Fury as a Modernist version of the Ubi Sunt motif
Question: because I want to prove how the Ubi Sunt formula fits in Faulkner’s novel,
Significance: in order to help my reader understand the importance Faulkner places on his character’s lamination of where their past has gone. 
 more to come!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ~ James Joyce

Classics Club Book List

Pragmatic Overtones in Cormac McCarthy’s The Orchard Keeper