Education and Frustration

Where I stand. I'm trying not to be bitter. So if I sound that way, I apologize. I recently failed to get accepted into a graduate program that I really wanted to get into. I feel that I'm qualified and understand their reasoning. I have applied to other schools as well. However, I seriously thinking about hanging it up. I cannot afford to take post bat classes. So what to do now? Well I'm considering not going to graduate school at all. I have a chance to work a decent job that will not interfere with my evenings and I also have a chance to do quite a bit of substitute teaching. I really don't want to get my teaching certificate, for I have a hard time dealing with authority. I'm sure as hell not going to be teaching toward a test. I really want to take some time to refocus and build stronger writing skills and get better at grammar and diction.

I had this great idea. Why not become purely self taught. Nothing against higher education, and I have all the respect for professors, but more times than not you are just reading what they are assigning and fielding a few questions you could probably figure out with your own inquiries. I feel there is an opportunity to take the bull by the horns and become and independent scholar. I have a better chance at success than going through a program that I don't want to go to anyway. I can continue to read at higher levels. So I thought I would try this project out. Though, I'm looking for a strong level of self discipline to guide me through. It is funny because I see a lot of bloggers who get into grad school and they have no time for anything else. They become a slave to some graduate assistantship that becomes more than their studies.

There is nothing wrong with being free from the shackles of American imposed higher educational systems. I may be an imposter, but damn I love to learn, and I hate dealing with bureaucratic bullshit. Plus just like everyone else graduating now I'm going to start paying back my loans. Even if I did survive grad school, a tenor track position as a liberal arts professor is seriously hard to come by. I have a family, a wonderful wife,a child, and a house. I got my degree and a high GPA to boot. I think it is time to read and relax and put this knowledge to work. I really want to teach and I think I have found a way. I want to put my voice out there for anyone to listen to and maybe follow my path and embrace the literary world one book at a time,

This brings me to my next phase and a project that I'm so happy to share with you. I really wanted to take a course on post-colonialism at the said University i didn't get into. So I'm going to do just that, just not on campus. I plan to document my process, and record and share that process with you.

I have never taken a graduate course, and I do not plan on pretending that I'm some expert. I just want to read, record, and take notes. I want to teach in a new way. Instead of paying all the bullshit fees, why not spend the money on the books that will give me the knowledge.

I Hope you will join me in this adventure, and continue the quest for knowledge and embrace the freedom that I hope this project will bring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ~ James Joyce

Pragmatic Overtones in Cormac McCarthy’s The Orchard Keeper

Classics Club Book List