The Craft of Research Chapter One : Thinking in Print

Pg.12-13
1.2: Why write it up?
to share our work and ti improve it before we do.
1.2.1 Write to Remember
-First write to remember what we read.
a few talented people can hold a mass of info in their heads.
-When you don't take notes on what you read you're likely to forget or worse, misremember it.


1.2.2 Write to Understand
-A second reason for writing is to understand or see larger patterns in what you read.
-Careful researchers never put off writing until theyve gathered all teh data they need: they write from the beginning of their project to help assemble their information in new ways.

My Response) THis is very important and a weakness of my research and reading. To ask questions against the text as I read and often wait to comment until I finish reading and never follow up on my thoughts. Be a better annotater and follow up question as I read. Now I need to find time. However, I make this comment t time ut I feel if I take the time and record what my thoughts and questions are I can become more efficient in my research and the process will be less painless and time consuming.

1.2.3 Write to test your thinking
- A third reason to write is to get your thoughts out of your head and onto paper where you will see really what you think . . . students and professionals alike, believe our ideas are more compelling in the dark of our minds than they turn out to be in the cold light of print. YOu can't know how good your ideas are until you separate them from teh swift muddy flow of thought and fix them in an organize
d for that you--and your readers--can study.

- We write to remember more accuratley, understand better, and evalute what we think more objectively. (and as you will discover, the more you write the better you read).

My Response) If feel that statement is paramount to my growth as a reader and writer. Advances in interest of time and quality of my projects.

1.4 Writing is Thinking

"find a topic that you care about, ask a question that you want to answer, then pursue that answer as best you can, your project can have the fascination of a mystery whose solution richly rewards your efforts" (14).

My Response) I have found topics that I really enjoyed exploring before, yet I still find myself clueless as to where the mystery would come from. I beat my head on the wall and think miticoulus documentation will help out in the long run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ~ James Joyce

Pragmatic Overtones in Cormac McCarthy’s The Orchard Keeper

Classics Club Book List